Enable VSS writer for Exchange 2003 servers
By default, the Setup program for Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 turns off the Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 writer for the Volume Shadow Copy service.
The Exchange 2003 writer may cause conflicts with the Backup utility (NTBackup.exe). However, you can manually turn on the Exchange writer for use with third-party backup software such as the BackupVault Attix5 service.
How to enable the VSS writer
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then double-click the following registry subkey:
- Double-click the Disable Exchange Writer value.
- In the Value data text box, change the value from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
- Quit Registry Editor.
- Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
- Stop and then restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.
- Stop and then restart the Attix5 service.
When you next open the Attix5 backup client you should now see the Exchange group. See the how to backup Exchange article for further information on how to configure the backup.